Sunday, July 15, 2012

Yummy Chorizo Stuffed Peppers

Alright, so here is the first of many recipe posts that I plan to add to this blog. Now what I'm doing is taking dishes that I find online and make them my own. Sadly, one of my down falls is that I am not good at measurements when it comes to some things. Like if there's something in the recipe that I really love, I will add extra and I like to take shortcuts as well, because coming from a low income family, I can't always afford all the good stuff but hell, the cheap stuff is just as good. Alright, on to the good stuff. 


I have made this meal a few times and after this last time, I have figured out some things that will make it better. Below is the basic recipe. I will explain how to make it as well as list the tweaks I made. 


This recipe serves 6 and can be altered for more or less. 


  • 6 bell peppers, tops cut off and seeded 
  • 1 pound chorizo sausage (You can add more is you like the taste. You can also add in some ground beef to bulk up the meat content)
  • 1 stalk celery, minced
  • 1 carrot, minced (I added more because I love the sweetness it brings. You can also use the shreaded carrot you can buy at the store. Mincing a carrot is kind of hard. I learned this the first time I made this.)
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion (Or more. Mmmmmm I loves onions.)
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced (Just like with the onions, I LOVE garlic)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (Can add more to taste. My husband loves this stuff.)
  • chopped fresh parsley
  • chopped fresh basil (I could not find this when I made this so i left it out and it did not make a big difference.)
  • 1/2 cup instant rice, uncooked (If you use regular rice, it takes forever for the rice to get cooked.)
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 cup of a Mexi cheese blend (You can use more if you want.)
  • 1 cup (or more) Mexi cheese blend for top of peppers
  • 1 (10.75 ounce) can tomato soup

Now the first thing you do is cut off the tops of your peppers and take out the seeds and as much of the ribs as you can. Then put them in a pot of boiling water for about 5 minutes so they are softened a bit. This helps them cook faster once it comes time to put them in the oven. 
The peppers after I boiled them
Next take your meat and cook it until almost done. Drain out the fat and then add your Garlic, Onions, Carrots, Celery, Parsley, Basil and Worcestershire sauce. Cook for about another 5-10 minutes until the veggies have gotten soft to your liking. I know some people like a bite to them and others like them almost mushy. 

Adding all the yummy veggies
Next add your rice and tomatoes along with the water. Stir it up good and cover so that everything can simmer and the rice can cook. Now just like all the other ingredients you can add more rice if you feel there is not enough. 

After everything is all cooked and smelling good add the cheese and let it melt in. Then you take your peppers and put them in a pan or whatever oven safe dish you would like to use. Fill the peppers with the mixture and then top with cheese. 

Adding lots of cheese
Next you take the tomato soup and water it down a little. Pour it over the top of the peppers and in the bottom of the pan. You can leave this out if you like but it helps keep everything moist. 

Then place foil over your peppers though be careful the foil dose not touch them because then your cheese sticks to the foil. Place the pan in the oven for about 30 minutes and enjoy! 

Oh the gooey goodness
Let me know if you try this out and anything you did different. I have been cooking for years but this is the first time I have posts about something I have cooked and how I did it. I hope this comes out all nice and yummy for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment